Friday, September 17, 2010

Does Watching J-Dramas/Anime Improve My Japanese?

Answer in two words: No leh.

Samurai T asked the question after seeing me glued to the laptop screen for several days obsessively watching the anime "Itazura Na Kiss", which was in Japanese with English subtitles. Dejected, I answered in the negative. After 8 freaking lessons, I cannot even catch a single sentence, just the most basic of words that I ALREADY KNOW before taking Japanese lessons, and a handful of everyday terms which I had learnt in class.

The upside is that I can now say "Tadaima! (他だいま)" which means "I'm home!" and "Okaerinasai! (おかえりなさい)" i.e. "Welcome back!" with a true blue Japanese accent, and in a "kawaii" manner. Oh, and also "Arigato Gozaimasu", "Sayonara", "Gomenasai" and "Ittekimasu - I'm going off!". How very pathetic, I know. I could not even properly decipher what is "I Love You!" in Japanese despite the numerous declarations from Kotoko, the female lead, while I already know the Korean version - "Sarangheyo!!!!!" So I just googled and in 2 minutes found out it is "Ai shiteru" (あいしてる) - hmmm, I thought I did hear something like that. God I am such a baka バカ x 10000000! (Don't ask me to explain THAT term.)

And after a term break last week, I have already forgotten half of my hiragana alphabets. Obviously, watching the anime did absolutely NOTHING to refresh my memory. So much for "immersing" myself in a Japanese environment, no? Most discouraging. I wonder how long it will take for me to be even mildly proficient in the language. Then again, I studied German for FOUR years and I don't think I could sit through an entire German movie without subtitles. Bleh.

Loving languages is one thing. Mastering them is another. (And I still want to learn Korean too!). Is it a case of - gasp! An old dog cannot learn new tricks?!!? Oh well, wish me luck. Time to do my Japanese homework.

P.S. I have dug out more Korean drama serials from my dungeon and added to my "Lelong" list. If you are interested do go back and take another look.

2 comments:

Ying Ser said...

Learning japanese is going to be a life long proccess for me. I am still thinking whether I should attend Jap classes again, it will help my grammar tremendously. It really helps if someone speaks Japanese to you all the time. I am attending a yoga class conducted in Japanese and English. I think I only understand 5% of the teacher's japanese.It really helps if you visit Japan often, new words are learnt in situations. Even train announcements are a good learning tool. Yes, go to both Kyushu and Hokkaido.

FatGeisha said...

Yoga in Japanese sounds cool!! Yes, definitely practice in Japan, although I may be too embarressed to use the language there. Haha. Unless it is using to flirt with a cute Japanese man.... :P Gomenasai! Samurai!