Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hajimemashite! Watashi wa Fat Geisha des.

Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Fat Geisha des. Dozo yoroshiku!

Hallo dear readers - I am Fat Geisha, but you may have guessed that I am not really Japanese. In fact I am not a Geisha, nor am I extremely fat - just moderately so if I am being frank. But a Geisha is so old world, so romantic and glamourous no? Of course, it would have been better had I been slim and beautiful, with grace oozing out from my every pore but sometimes we really don't have a choice.

I am a bored 30-something married woman based in tropical Singapore (ugh!) but fell deeply in love with all (almost) things Japanese less than 3 years ago during my nth honeymoon in Tokyo with my dear husband, henceforth known in this blog as Samurai T. I must confess that I used to be very Western in my travel desires and now everything's changed! I have taken my fat self by surprise at the speed and depth of my new love!

I eat a lot of Japanese food - sashimi is oiishi!! Watch quite a bit of Japanese drama serials (hmmm Takuya Kimura and Matsuharu Fukuyama) and animae (Howl's Moving Castle was superb!). I also like a fiction series by a certain Ms Laura Joh Rowland on an Edo period detective known as Sano Ichiro (in English of course). And I have just started learning the Japanese language, hence my self introduction above.

Still, I have a looooooong way to go before being a true blue "Japanophile", unlike the many people I know. I have only been to Japan thrice on fairly short trips and there are still so many unexplored gems in the country. Samurai T, being a historian buff, knows 1000% more Japanese history than I do (hence he makes a good travelling companion and I get to save on tour guides - hurhur.) So in this blog I endeavor to share my past Japan adventures, and my ongoing journey to discover more about the country, its culture, food (!) and people (I would certainly love to uncover more about Takuya..... ;) ). I will also be sharing my travel experiences OUTSIDE of Japan for those not so hot on Japan (but if you are not, what are you doing here????), and other useless titbits about my Fat Geisha life.

So join me on this exciting journey of discovery!

Sayonara!

No comments: